Sunday, March 9, 2008

Waffle Talk

Does anyone out there remember "Coffee Talk" from Saturday Night Live? The skit where Mike Meyers dresses up like his mother-in-law and frequently says he's "verklempt." I think the other baseball moms were too young to remember this, so when I fanned my face and said I was getting verklempt upon seeing Dori's very handsome son who's a freshman in the Merchant Marine Academy and came straight from the airport in his uniform to watch his little brother's baseball game. They have to travel in uniform - did you know that?

In case you're not familiar with "verklempt", it's a Yiddish word which means choked with emotion. I looked it up just now in a very cool website called UrbanDictionary.com. It's so cool, in fact, that I'm adding it to my links list - at left.

All this to say, my Waffle Talk title is a take on Coffee Talk. I haven't made waffles in two weeks. Last weekend I was ensconced at the hospital with daddy and sister. Disgruntled hungry teenager complained. Yesterday he wasn't home - he spent the night with friend from school so they could play in the wonderful snow. I should be at church right now, but being the "sleep slut" that I am (see Urban Dictionary's word of the day!), I woke up at 10:00, thinking I could hurry up and make it to church and when I walked into the kitchen and the microwave clock said 11:00, I had one of those Twilight Zone moments before I realized this is Spring Forward day. So I stayed in my pajamas and made waffles.

I'm signing off now and am heading back to Urban Dictionary to find some other fun words!

No comments: